Friday, August 17, 2012

When In Rome...

Let the fun begin.  Marito got off work early today, and with the weekend ahead of us we packed a book bag and ran out the door. My father had called earlier to let me know that ODU (my home town basketball team) was going to be  in Rome and they were letting fans attend their games. Being only 2.5 hours away we couldn't turn down the opportunity!

I quickly booked a hotel room, grabbed my sunglasses and hit the road.  We didn't want to pay any tolls, so we re-routed the Garmin and headed up along the coast. All of Italians are still on vacation right now, and they were all at the same place! The beaches were packed, and parking was crazy. People parked a mile away! I don't know about you, but I don't need my piece of sand THAT MUCH! Umbrellas were stacked from the back of the beach, all the way to the waters edge almost. There wasn't an unclaimed spot. It was identical to this picture.


Since we were so close to a NATO Base, we decided to find it! Not only were we hungry for lunch, but we needed some gas for the car too. So we drove around and around, looking on the internet for coordinates to it, with no such luck. So we forgo that idea and just stop for gas, and wait to eat until we get to Roma. Marito puts his Credit Card into a pump, and lifts one of 4 handles. It says Gasolina which is what we want right? Nozzle doesn't fit, ok so lets hang it up and put 50 Euros in the machine, lift handle and still it doesn't fit. Finally a local lets us know that we were lifting the wrong handle. We wanted Unleaded (who knew there was a difference?) Get a receipt and start over. Insert 20 Euro and voila! Only problem, how do we get our 50 Euro back from lifting the wrong handle?? There was no attendant, and after I translated the machine it looks like we won't be getting it back. Marito wasn't happy, but it was a lesson learned- a pricy one at that! 

Onward to Roma! After a 4 hour scenic drive, we finally made it! Checked into a small hotel- Hotel Grifo, and walked towards the Coliseum. Our hotel isn't anything fancy, but it does have free wifi, parking permits, and breakfast. It is also MINUTES away from the Coliseum. What more can you ask for when you're paying 64 Euros a night?!

Just a couple blocks south and we were there. I mean, you can't miss the place! I took a couple of pictures, and we made our way down these stair to the base of the stone structure. Following marito's footsteps and next thing you know, out goes my foot and down goes my tush! Slipping five maybe six steps down the stairs my pride was distraught. Suffered a scrape on my wrist, and elbow, and a dented camera, I was ok.  Taking a minute to collect myself, marito says that no one was around to see. THANK GOD! I don't want to find that video on YouTube of AFV!

Finishing the steps and making our way around the back side of the Coliseum I stop to take some pictures. My Favorite picture, and it's blurry! But it's proof, that we were here!

Going down alley ways, marito and I look for a nice place to sit and eat dinner. We come across a little restaurant stocked with bottles of wine from across the country. Both of us ready to indulge in more local cuisine, we order some pasta and bruschetta. 

First off, Bruschetta in Italy is to die for. the bread is fresh, soft with the perfect crunchy crust, glazed with olive oil and topped with delicious tomatoes. It is seriously a little piece of heaven. 

Our meals came, and pasta doesn't last long on a plate in our family. His Linguini disappeared and my Ravioli had no chance. 

After dinner we walk back to the Coliseum, and circle it. I'm trying to be artsy fartsy with my camera and get unique views of it. Check my Facebook if you want to see them. Heading back to the hotel, (no we didn't go inside- there will be plenty of days to do that) anyways, on our way back, we stop in a small plaza and get a beer and gelato. You can guess who got which right? I ask the waitress to give me her favorite flavors of gelato (two scoops) and she says Banana and Pistachio. Sounds good to me. Sitting down and enjoying every bite of my gelato, I only wish that everyone could experience this. I have my marito by my side, and we are exploring the world together. 

Tomorrow calls for another day of adventure, as we see a bit more of Roma and head to Ovierto to see the ODU Monarchs play.

1 comment:

  1. That sucks about your experience choosing which type of gas to use! And apparently it sounds like you don't have gas coupons yet (you are entitled to them with a rental car and pcs orders -- http://www.cnic.navy.mil/Naples/About/Departments/Supply/MotorVehicleRegistration/FAQs/index.htm). Enjoy your weekend in Roma!

    ReplyDelete