Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Benvenuti A Napoli!

Welcome to Naples!

Wow, we are actually here. Marito (husband) and I have had a long day but I don't think we will be able to sleep tonight.

Yesterday the movers came to gather the last of our items to go out in express shipment. After the truck was packed our day really began. Not only had I not received my Visa yet, but we hadn't shipped our car! And the flight was that night! When 11:30 hit, I called the Passport office on base to check the status of my Visa. Talk about being down to the wire. If it wasn't in, I wasn't flying with Marito to Naples. Made the call, was put on a brief hold, then Mr. Reid (the passport guy) asked when I was trying to catch my flight. With a very sweet yet concerned voice I told him tonight. "Well it looks like you will be on that flight." Did I hear him wrong? Was that a "yes, it is in" or did he say I won't make the flight? With a confirmation my Visa was in! It was time to go get it!

Picked up moms vehicle (thanks for letting us borrow it mom) Marito and I made our way to go pick up my Passport with Visa and my Port of Call- this is my ticket for tonight's flight.

Afterwards we went to drop off our vehicle, so it can be shipped to Naples. Note to self, DO NOT HAVE MORE THAN 1/4 TANK OF GAS! We couldn't ship it with half a tank, so we went down the road and had the fuel emptied at a shop. That put us behind schedule, but $25 later, and 3 gallons emptied from my car and put into moms, we were able to get our car shipped. 

Back home I had to finish packing, then the family got together and we ate pizza. Of all things, Pizza! HA! Sooner than we know it was time to say goodbye, or as I like to say "a promise to see you again."

Hugs for my brother, who started to choke up, I whispered to him to "join the service, it's a good life." Then was daddy, I've been dreading this one. I teased him for crying but gave him his credit- it was raining so I guess he wasn't crying (or was he?).  "I love you, we will see you soon," it was time to go.

Mom drove us to the airport, and was on her way. She's a flight attendant so I'll see her soon.

While in the airport I find a letter from my brother, read it and the dam breaks. I ugly cry in front of everyone at the airport. Then I start texting dad and I ugly cry some more. After 15 minutes I compose myself and am ok.

Boarding started around 2230 but we didn't take off until after midnight. Slept till dinner came around, then again until we landed in Lajes, Portugal. Lajes is an island in the Atlantic Ocean that looks like it belongs in Ireland. Very green, land divided by stone walls, and mountainous. I go to snap a picture and forget that I am on an Air Force Base and I get caught! "No Pictures ma'am." 

Two hours later and we were back on the plane and off to Naples. After landing, Marito and I grab out bags and search for our Sponsor. We introduce who we are, shake hands and get on our way.

We go to get Marito's orders stamped, this is a very important step! If we didn't we would be able to claim today for pay! So this stop was a must! Yay for Per Diem!

Check into our hotel and begin to move in. Our Sponsor was lovely enough to put together a welcome gift for us. It included plates, forks, soap, shampoo, tooth brushes and past, local chocolate, fresh olives, cheese and a bottle of wine! How nice!

After getting settled, Marito and I go for a little walk to explore- kinda shady at night so we headed back and ordered dinner from the hotel. Marito ordered pizza, I got the penne and of course some coca-cola! 

As I go over my day, Ive already learned some very interesting tips that I will share tomorrow. Until then, Ciao!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Naples. I've been here for about 6 months now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alison! Just survived our first week, and so far so good. I just want to show an I side look for people PCSing. I want to be a source of valuable information and help those get a better understanding of what to expect when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome in my city! I hope you'll be good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can still remember, how long was the flight to Naples? I am transferring there in October. How is the language difference?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabe I fly often from Naples to Norfolk and back. The flight to Naples is about 8-9 hours with a 1-2 hour layover in Lajes Portugal.

    If you have any questions feel free to message me on FB

    Facebook.com/caseyclaire16

    ReplyDelete