Thursday, August 16, 2012

Familiar Places

With nothing planned, and a day off before work starts up, marito and I were a bit restless. We made a trip out to Capo (short for Capodichino- which is the main base). Since marito reports to work tomorrow, it's a good idea that he knows ahead of time where he works, and how to get there.

We knew the base was small when we arrived, but driving around we realized it was much smalled than we thought. Well now that he knows where to go I was getting antsy to go somewhere and explore! We looked up Naples Port in the GPS, and were on our way.

Marito has been to Naples before, when he was deployed in 2007. I am very intrigued to see where he was, and what he remembers.  On our way to the port we see a shopping area that looks like it is a mall of some sort. We stop and check it out.

As soon as we step into the building I notice the color of the walls. It looked like the Easter Bunny has painted the walls! Pastel green, blue, pink, purple, and yellow. Interesting. We looked around and left before I could start buying things!

Plugged in the GPS again and looked at where we were on a map and noticed that we were no where close to the sea, and that Porte di Napoli wasn't what we had in mind. So we dropped a pin on a map to get directions to where we really wanted to go, and we were off again.

As we approached Naples, Marito started to get very excited. He was recognizing buildings and remembered the street wires. His excitement made me really happy, because being in port with your spouse is something not many spouses/significant others get to do. We drove around, careful of the crazy driving. If you think it's bad in the states, you just wait. He showed me where the closest alcohol is to the port where the liberty boats pull in, and he told me that it will be flooded with sailors.

We didn't get to explore as much as I wanted to, but it was getting late and we needed to head back to the hotel. I look forward to going back to the city when Navy boats stop by. I being in the military, I know many people who are deployed and will soon be, and the chance to see people we know and be able to show them around and make them feel at home makes my heart happy. I already have a couple of friends lined up to come see their sailor if and when they hit port here. I am glad I can be here to help them navigate this foreign land.

No comments:

Post a Comment