Saturday, August 18, 2012

... Do As The Romans Do

Imagine waking up in walking distance of the Roman Coliseum, and just a jump, skip and hop away from the Trevi Fountain? This is definitely a dream come true, to be in a city rich with history, with my marito.

Mind you my dream wasn't to be laying in a hotel room  with an a/c system that blows warm air, the windows open to let in the breeze of birds passing by and it being too warm to hold my husbands' hand. This dream I had also didn't include a screeching car alarm at 4 am that lasted an hour and a half. Don't forget our windows were open, well they were until the alarm didn't go off after 30 minutes. Other than that, the dream went as one could imagine.

Waking up whenever we wanted, and making our way to the Trevi Fountain. Our time in the great city of Roma was limited, so the big sites were our first stops. We park a block away and follow the crowd around the corner. Standing stories high, was this gorgeous white fountain. Much larger than I had ever imagined it being. Took my breath away. Marito and I stop for a slice of pizza from a restaurant called "Pizza di Trevi." Were you expecting a different name?!?

With food in our belly we were ready to fight the Saturday afternoon crowd. A 'scuzi here and pardon there we find an open spot and gun for it! Wanting the perfect picture, I wait until I find someone who speaks English, when I know I could have pointed to my camera to anyone to ask for a picture, it was just easier this way. So marito and I strike a pose and of course I look ridiculous, sorry I'm not sharing it on here! But marito knows how to take a good picture of me!

After a couple of snap shots we both throw in a coin in to the fountain.

1 coin = You will return to the eternal city of Roma
2 coins = You will fall in love with a Roman
3 coins = You will marry a Roman

About 3,000 Euros is collected from the fountain daily, and is used to subsidize supermarkets for the needy in Roma.

We returned to the car, turned of the GPS and got lost in the city. Coming across beautiful buildings, statues and finally found ourselves at the front of St. Peter's Basilica. We decided not to go into the Vatican today, since our niece will be with us for her birthday in November, we will explore when she is with us. Plus I can't wear shorts in the Vatican, and it is too warm to be standing in line and walking around!

It was time to leave Roma and head up to Orvieto. My home town college is playing an exhibition game this medieval town, and it would be so cool to see them play here.

Orvieto is an town dated back to the 10th Century! Again, turning the GPS off and getting lost, we find ourselves driving down barely wide enough alleys where everything is made of stone.  We stop short of a massive Cathedral. I know nothing of it, besides that it is stunning. What was really nice was the lack of crowds and room to sit and admire this dramatic, Gothic Cathedral.

Needless to say, we couldn't find where the basketball game was taking place, nor could we find someone who new what we were talking about, so we headed back.

Spontaneous trips are what I am looking forward to. Now if only we can get our own vehicle instead of using a rental!

1 comment:

  1. Allow me: if you like the ancient romans life you have visit Pompeii! ;)
    http://fabiocomella.blogspot.it/2011/08/how-visiting-pompeii.html

    ReplyDelete