Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Passed My Drving Test!

Today was another day of AO. Learned about rules of the road - very important! Then we took our driving test. Like I had mentioned before, it was based off of 48 multiple choice questions that were "what sign does this represent?" Oh, well that one obviously means bumpy road, or yield, etc. My favorite sign is a triangle sign with and upside down French horn. And it means no right away to trucks on mountain. Seriously. An upside down French horn? Anyways, I had skipped the first question, planning to go back, when the instructor pointed out to me that I had skipped it. Then he said "my name is Charlie." Uh, ok? Marito nudges me and says "Charlie.... C," like I knew what he meant when he told me that? I was thinking ok, so you're name is Charlie. Does that make me gullible or not quite Navy Lingo Saavy?

Marito gets his license, they forgot mine in the office, no big deal. We go to lunch and go to Europcar and rent a car for the week! This is a BIG deal to us. Especially to me! This means I don't have to sit in a hotel room waiting on my sponsor to pick us up for anything. We can just got and do as we please! Saaaaaaaweeeeet!

After lunch we were talked to about terrorism, and reducing our actions that pinpoint us as Americans. Then NCIS spoke to us about car jacking, theft, and all of that fun stuff. Enough talk about it that makes me miss the shot gun Marito bought before his last deployment. What I really learned from it is if someone open hand slaps me, I can open hand slap them, but nothing more! The people around here though are just poor and are looking for an easy buck. They don't want confrontation, and will flee when you stand up for yourself. Doesn't stop my natural instinct to turn into Chuck Norris when I hear a creak in the house.

Speaking of house, we met with the Landlord today, discussed negotiations on the home. We asked for one or both of the security gates to the driveway to be electronic. Same with the garage door. Install three a/c units in the two guest bedrooms, and the kitchen. He is going to redo the kitchen cabinets and counter tops, leaving space for a dishwasher and large stove. I had also asked about a water softener system, it's expensive, but after we move out and the next family moves in he won't have to worry about all of the updating. We are the first people to rent his home, so whatever we ask for now he won't have to do later.

Marito and I wanted to explore and go to Carney Park, which is a beautiful military park inside a capped off volcano. You know, the super volcano..  The park is very lovely, with over 7 baseball diamonds, a pool with three crazy slides, tennis, rock climbing wall, and marito's favorite, 9 holes of golf with a driving range.

I'm sure he will be there as soon as his clubs arrive.

Went down the block to an outdoor patio, ordered kebabs, sausage and half a chicken (we were with friends). The owner let us try two items, which we didn't know what they were. The first one was fried mashed potato, and boy was it good. The next item he let us sample ended up being friend Mac n cheese with bits of ham and some peas. My god. One bite and I was in heaven. Needless to say, diner was great and we will be back.

Half a day of orientation tomorrow, and we will be off exploring some more!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. accidently delted the comment. It said, how long do I plan on having a rental car?

      We rented a car for a week, in hopes to buy a "lemon" or "Naples Beater" during this time frame. Our sponsor has been great at giving us rides to and from base before and after AO. But we feel like a burden asking to hang out, or take us places. He has a life too, and I know it is part of the program to be thre for us, but we are adults and do not need him 24/7. Our car is expected to be here roughly 30 days after we shipped it, so if we do not buy a "beater" in the mean time, we will at least have our POV soon.

      Delete
    2. Not quite a beater ... but any reasonable offer considered!

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.418243594887910&type=1

      Delete
    3. ljstang, thank you for showing us a car. Being on a tight budget, it wouldn't be fair to make our offer to you because it isn't reasonable. We are looking in the $3000 max range, and that just wouldn't be cool to ask for you to drop it that much. But thank you!!

      Delete