Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Flying Space A

Who wants to know anything about Space A flying? Ok who doesn't want to know??? If you have never flown Space A (formally called MAC Flights) I'm sure you have a LOT of questions. I know I did. Well I just took a little trip across the Atlantic Ocean, and along the way I asked questions and I'm hoping I can answer some of yours!

Before I give you the Q and A, I'll tell you a little bit about my experience.

First step, Marito asked to get a Command Sponsorship Letter for me, and he also asked to receive an EML form (which boosts you up a category). After receiving the proper documents we went to the Terminal on base to register for the flight back to Norfolk. You can call and ask when flights "typically" are scheduled to your destination, but they aren't confirmed until 72 hours prior.

When registering for the flight, you need to ask "When is roll call?" Roll call is when they announce who has made the flight. You need to be checked in BEFORE this time or your name will drop to the bottom of the list- no matter what category you are.

I didn't know if I had made the flight until an hour before boarding time, but I asked the clerk how many empty seats their were on the plane and how many people were registered for the flight. It gives you a ball park idea if you are going to make the flight. YOU NEED TO BE FLEXIBLE!

The flight was a regular Chartered Commercial Airline (Omni Air and North American Air)- so you're not sitting in the back of a military plane but you can catch flights on some of those to certain locations.



Let me break down your timeline if you were to catch a flight from Naples to Norfolk and back

Friday morning (day of flight)
  • Check in no later than 0930 at the INFORMATION Desk.  (Time changed to OPSEC purposes)
  • Listen for you name to be called around 1000, then proceed to the CHECK IN Desk with your luggage.
    • If you are PCSing you can skip the Info Desk.
  • The flight is $29.10 currently (I don't know if they take credit card, but exact change is preferred)
  • 1100 you will board your flight
  • 1205 is take off.
  • Stop in Lajes, Azores, Portugal five hours after take off.
  • Exit plane onto runway to board a bus which will take you to the Terminal while the plane refuels and is loaded with fresh food.
  • The Layover is approx 2 hours
  • Board the plane for a 6 hour flight to Norfolk, Va.
  • You will arrive in Norfolk around 1900
  • You must go through customs, so please fill out a customs card (flight attendants pass them out)
Tuesday night (almost 2 weeks later)
  • Check in no later than 1900 at the information desk
  • When name is called, go to check in and get your ticket.
    • The cost is $16.10
  • Board and hour before take off
  • Take off is at 2120
  • Fly for 4 hours and 15 minutes to Lajes.
  • Two hour layover
  • Fly 4 hours and 15 minutes to Naples.
    • No custom form was given on my flight back nor was I asked to present one when I arrived here.

Ok! Now for some Q and A. Below is the "dummy version" that I wrote. The proper answers are located on a PDF that you can open up at this link! The Air Mobility Command website is found here, and the links on the left side are VERY helpful.

What is Space A you ask?

Space A means Space Available. If there are any empty seats on a military flight about 2 hours before take off, there is "space available" thus allowing the terminal to give those seats away to people wanting to travel.

How do I sign up for a flight?

Your sponsor must first get you a Unaccompanied Command Sponsorship Letter. Simply go to admin and ask for one. It will then go up the chain of command. This allows you to fly on a military flight, without your sponsor WHILE STATIONED OVERSEAS. Then you can email/call your terminal that you want to book a flight with, or you can personally go to the terminal with your proper documentation and book a flight.

Along with a Sponsorship Letter, you can also get Environmental Morale Leave (EML) and/or Emergency Leave. Not sure about Emergency Leave, but EML is granted twice a year per family. Meaning since I took EML leave to go to the states, as a family, my husband and I have one EML left for the year. I can go with out him, him without me, or together. Flying under EML or Emergency Leave boosts you up a category. For more info on categories see below.

How much luggage can I bring?

You can CHECK TWO bags up to 70 pounds per person. Families can pool their luggage together as long as the total is not over the allotted amount. Each person is also allowed one carry on and one personal piece of luggage (purse, briefcase etc.) You cannot have or pay for excess luggage unless you are on duty status.

Can I bring my Pets?

No. DOD has pet shipment for families undergoing PCS.

Is Space A Free?
 
No. There are fees. For Instance when I flew from Naples to Norfolk the flight cost $29.10, and the flight back to Naples only cost $16.10.

When is the best time to fly?

Any time other than peak holiday and travel seasons (Dec-Jan, June-Aug)

What are the Categories?

Cat I- Emergency Travel, Uniformed Service family members whose sponsor is overseas and there is an emergency in CONUS, full time, paid personnel for American Red Cross serving overseas, and US civilian citizens of DOD serving overseas.

Cat II- Sponsors on EML with their family members (sponsor must also be on ordinary leave), DOD Dependent School Teachers and their accompanied family members on EML during school holidays and vacations.

Cat III- Military members on TDY while house hunting, military members on ordinary or reenlistment leave status, uniformed service patients on convalescent leave, dependents of military members deployed for 365 consecutive days or more.

Cat IV- Unaccompanied family members (18+ yrs) traveling on EML orders (under 18 must be accompanied), DODDS teachers or family members traveling in EML status during summer break, dependents of military members deployed for 120 consecutive days.

Cat V- students whose sponsor is station in Alaska or Hawaii, students enrolled in trade school in CONUS when sponsor is stationed overseas, military members traveling TDY for other than house hunting, unaccompanied military dependents  (18+) stationed overseas traveling CONUS and return- must have Command Sponsorship Letter which is valid for 90 days and one round trip.

Cat VI- National Guard/Reservists who are on the Active Status List and retired members (and their family when accompanied) who are issued DD Form 2.


Now that I have overloaded your brain with information, take into consideration that if you fly Space A, you are NOT guaranteed a seat. You need patience and flexibility, especially if you can't make it to your final destination.

It was wonderful to be able to pick up and go on this flight back "home" and I encourage everyone to attempt to fly Space A, but don't rely on this method if you MUST get back to the States. I hope this helps answer some of y'alls questions.

HAPPY TRAVELS!

3 comments:

  1. Good thing you have had some "practice" with the flexibility!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just required some information and was searching Cheap Dog Beds, Large Dog Clothes, Small Dog Collars on Google for it. I visited each page that came on first page and didn’t got any relevant result then I thought to check out the second one and got your blog. This is what I wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it difficult to find lodging while you are stuck, waiting for a flight, at a given base area?

    ReplyDelete