Monday, October 29, 2012

Soccer, Futbol... Same Thing to Me

I have never been a big fan of soccer. I used to play it when I was younger, but once I noticed cramps under my ribs from running I threw in the towel. NOPE! Not the sport for me! I think that is where my love for the sport stopped, or at least my lack of caring started.

My HS crush, and Jr. Prom date!
During high school I loved going to the boys soccer games, mainly because I was crushing really hard on one player in particular. Anything to spend more time with a crush right? What was the best part was the fact that I was the Athletic Trainer, so I got to sit on the sidelines and enjoy the sport from the bench. Being in the stadium doesn't compare to sitting on the sidelines.

Anyways, soccer, I mean futbol is a huge deal in Europe. Did I say huge deal? I meant HUGE DEAL. Living in Naples if you are not a Napoli futbol fan you better not be a fan of anyone! You will read why in a moment.

Last night, Marito and I went to our first futbol match. The hotel we are so fond of, took the liberty to get tickets and a bus and a group of 25 went to the game together. Fortunately, this game wasn't a big deal. The team we played was ranked 18th and Napoli is ranked 2nd.

During the game I payed more attention to the crowd than to the teams. The fans bring HUGE banderas (flags) and wave them around throughout the entire game. I would think it is obnoxious if I was sitting where the flags were! Next thing I know, the fans are chanting and jumping up and down, but only in particular sections. I hear that each section has loyal fans and they do their own thing. It made me feel like I was at a college football or basketball game. The passion these fans have is intense!

Before I know it there is a cloud of smoke coming from the crowds on both ends where the goals are, and the fans are igniting flares! One of the guys with me said to wait until they set off Sulfur Bombs. Oh dear lord!

Across the way from my seats was an area caged off. This is where the visitors sit. They have to sit in a cage because the fans will throw bottles, trash, and debris at them. Security is tight around the visitors because the passion is so extreme the fans will hurt fans of the other team.

Italy used to issuse license plates to citizens with the first two letters being the first two letters of what town that person lives in (ie: Naples- NA, Milan- MI). When rival teams like Milan play in Naples, if you have MI on your license plate you would be attacked! Therefore they stopped doing lisence plates this way.

If you go to a game, which the stadium is right down the road from JFC in Agano, make sure you do your research. DO NOT wear the opposing team colors! You might regret it later.

The next big game is November 17th. Naples vs Milan! I am sure the game will sell out, and the crowd will be uncontrollable, but the college student inside me cannot wait to go to the game! To feel the energy and excitement of such a rival game, it is going to be surreal.

Check out the Flags and the flares in the video.






PS- For the ladies! If you go to a game, please bring tissues. The toilets are little holes in the floor and if you don't have any tissue, you will either hold your bladder or drip dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment